Friday, March 7, 2014

Key West, The Travelers Collection




This one's labeled "Key West, 1940."  My first visit to the Keys was forty years latter in late February of 1980.  At first, I thought it was heaven.  A month earlier I had been in a snow storm in western Pennsylvania.  But in Key West, the temperature was nice and warm and the Gulf waters were perfect for swimming.  I visited Ernest Hemingway's house, and met a woman who owned a book store who had been a friend of Jack Kerouac.  But then reality hit.  It only took a few days for me to realize that Key West life was pretty much hanging out and that was about it.  Most of the residents worked in the tourist trade, gift shops, motels, restaurants, and bars.  At night they went home or became bar patrons.  There was a lot of low level drunks and stoners.  Not exactly a tropical paradise.

Click on travelers collection in labels to bring up the lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment