Thursday, August 22, 2013

Vacancy Furnished Apt.


I admit to a certain level of frustration as I begin the long slog to post 2,000.  Once again I've run across that old hatred of mine, a dealer who breaks up a collection as a means of increasing profit.  Most times it's  more minor irritant than major hatred.  A bunch of snapshots, often pulled from an old album, that aren't all that interesting.  Yes, it would have been nice to see some sort of context, but let's be honest, how many of us actually lead fascinating lives, and how many of us are able to record that life in photos.

And then I run across something like this.  I dropped by an antique mall  I sometimes visit and found some photos, and some album pages, from the people in this picture.  New arrivals to California, and their life on the west coast.  What I would have paid to see their story laid out, in order, in front of me!  Sadly, I only had a couple of bucks to spend, and only ended up with four photos and none of the album pages.  Who knows what will be left when I get some more cash.

Written on the back, "1930 when we first moved to California."  Two or three posts from now, I'll publish the other three.  They show a trip, and  go together.  With any luck, I'll be able to buy more, from this group, in the future.  For now, all will have the tag," new Californians" in the labels section a t the bottom of the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment