Monday, January 3, 2011

Bhutanese Milkmen in Stereo




I've written about Keystone, and Underwood & Underwood, the two largest stereoview companies in the United States in past posts. Anyone interested in going into more detail should click on stereoview in the labels section. In my post of November 28, 2009, "Underwood & Underwood, Geography" I dealt specifically with the Underwood brothers and their company. The backbone of the stereoview industry was geographic images. Staff photographers and free lancers provided many Americans with the only window on the wider world that they would ever know. I was born in 1955 and my first grade teacher still used old stereoviews to teach us geography. The caption on this card reads, "Bhutanese milkmen with curious bamboo-jars, at the public Fountain, Darjeeling, India. Copyright 1903 by Underwood &Underwood."

No comments:

Post a Comment