Friday, May 30, 2014

Photographic Pleasures


I haven't posted anything from this collection for awhile, so I'm going to start off with a bit of explanation.  A year or so ago, I bought an envelope full of postcards that the seller referred to as his flirtation collection.  He had bundled postcards that had somewhat romantic themes, most from the New England area, especially Maine. There are some repeat names, towns, and addresses. Some of the cards are actual photographs, some, like this one, pretty clearly started life in a camera and have been converted into tinted halftones.  The images that are pure illustration are posted on my Fair Use blog  (www.fairuse-wjy.blogspot.com) that I use for non photographic bits of ephemera that I've picked up over the years, as well as interesting images I've found while surfing the web.   I've followed the sellers lead, and have tagged them flirtation in the labels section at the bottom of the post.

Written on the back, "Shall be down in the 3:30 Fri. hope to see you when I get there.  Shall stop at the house.  H."  This card has an undivided back from the years when it was against postal regulations to write a note on the back of a postcard.  Never stamped or addressed, it must have been sent in an envelope. Published by The Taylor Art Co., of Philadelphia, PA.  They were in business from 1907 to 1909.

No comments:

Post a Comment