Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Desert Oasis


I have no idea where this picture was taken, but I'm thinking, probably, somewhere in the Palm Springs area.  It doesn't take a genius to realize that Palm Springs is a natural, desert oasis. The city is there because warm water bubbled up to the surface.  Native Americans were there first, and then white settlers, who slowly turned it into a resort city.  Does water still bubble up to the surface, naturally?  I don't know.  In all the years I've lived in California, I've only been to Palm Springs a handful of times.  It's a resort that caters to the rich, and while they wouldn't stop me at the city line and ask to see my bank book, well, to put it mildly I don't feel welcome there.  I am, however, going to go out on a limb and state that the water table has been lowered over the years, to the point that naturally occurring springs are no longer in the mix.  Fun fact about Palm Springs, the largest land owners in the city are the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians.  Their reservation includes 6,700 acres of land within city limits.

Now, for anyone interested...go to the MOMA web site, click on collections, go to photography, set search method to artist name, start from the last page, and it won't take long to come across the "unknown photographer" collection.  Yes, The Museum of Modern Art in New York City has a large collection of common, ordinary, snapshots.  Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment