Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The New Glarus Hotel



Continuing with my hotel/motel theme....Fist of all, it's not a new version of The Glarus Hotel, it's a hotel in New Glarus, Wisconsin,  America's dairy land, so, needless to say, there's a lot of locally made cheese, and from what I've been able to find on-line, there are also a number of local breweries.  I had no idea there was beer tourism.  Live and learn.

So, the New Glarus Hotel was built in 1853, and it's still there, though now it's strictly a restaurant.  The pictures I found don't show a lot of change in the building, though those great Eames/Herman Miller molded fiber glass chairs have been replaced by plain old wood.  And, they have bands.  Have no idea if they had entertainment back in the fifties or sixties when this photo was taken, but they do now.  As a matter of fact, Barefoot Becky just finished an engagement.  She has a few videos on YouTube.  I grew up in an area where polka was quite popular, and I have to say, she wasn't half bad.

The caption, "NEW GLARUS HOTEL, NEW GLARUS, WISCONSIN.  Authentic Swiss Architecture enhances this Swiss Style Dining Area and Service Bar around a fire-place setting."  I've never understood how postcard manufacturers use capitol letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment