Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Coloring Within the Lines





By the time I started my photo lab career, hand coloring photographs was no longer a required skill.  It's kind of a pity.  A well done tint job has a technicolor, candy box feel that's so different from an actual color print.  And let's face it, it never hurts to have another way of seeing the world.  Anyway, someone was practicing with these four snapshots.  I hope they got better.  They couldn't have got much worse.

And for those interested, it's still possible to buy dyes used for hand tinting of black & white photographs.  Live in Los Angeles?  Freestyle Photographic Supply in Hollywood carries Faber-Castell oil pencils and Arista liquid oils.  Ink jet paper used for digital printing is different and needs to be treated with gesso, just like the canvases used for painting.  Of course, it has to be a clear acrylic gesso, since it goes over a printed image.  And no, I don't work for Freestyle or get a kickback.  I buy my film, chemicals, printing paper, and the occasional Holga there.

I like the foreshortened, man hands effect on the third print.

No comments:

Post a Comment