Monday, May 27, 2013

Selling Patriotism





It's a coincidence that I started this men in uniform series right before Memorial Day and it's a coincidence that I'm ending it on Memorial Day.  I'm tired of perpetual war, and not inclined to celebrate conflict.  If Memorial Day was a true day of remembrance, that would be one thing.  But mostly it's a self glorification of military strength. First it was World War 2, a necessary war, then the cold war, with a couple of hot chapters (Korea and Vietnam) thrown in.  Grenada, multiple Gulf wars and now the war on terror.  I'm sick of it and wish someone would stand up and say enough is enough.

Now that my rant is over, it's time to move on to a major pet peeve of mine.  Selling product by selling patriotism.  I especially hate the wounded warriors showing up in advertising.  Buy this truck, it's strong like this guy who was unlucky enough to be hit by an IED.  Just disgusting.  Of course, if the economy wasn't being looted by the Wall Street crowd, maybe lower middle class and poor kids wouldn't have to join the military, and then they wouldn't get  wounded and show up in ads.  

No comments:

Post a Comment