Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Desert Base







I just picked up another small collection of estate photos, and in time I'll publish the lot. Most are family pictures, primarily of interest for the old fashions and cars. This photograph, though, is the reason I bought the collection. One long image pieced together from five individual prints. (My scanner is 12 inches on it's longest dimension, this collage is almost 15 inches long, which is why I've put it up in three different slices.) It has to be some sort of World War 2 era military base or research sight. When I first saw it, I thought it was from the Johnson Valley in California's high, Mojave Desert, but the fact is, there isn't enough there to verify a location. The Johnson Valley, during the war, was used for tank and bomber training. The odds are against it, but what would really be exciting is if this were from one of the A-bomb test sights in Nevada.

No comments:

Post a Comment