Friday, April 6, 2018

Goteborg or Gothenburg?




I just picked up a small envelope of European studio portraits.  It looks like this one started as a cabinet card that someone trimmed down.  Maybe it was a family member who needed to fit it into a frame or album.  That's not so bad since more could have been had from Alfred Back, the photographer.

So, I'm always amazed by what I can find on the net.  I didn't know if Alfred Back was a complete name or not, but I gave it a whirl, and indeed it was the full name of a Swedish studio photographer from Goteborg, Sweden, properly spelled with the two little dots above the "O", which I can't type on my ever ageing desk top computer.  The weird thing is that Goteborg has an exonym that's kind of semiofficial in Sweden itself.   Goteborg, also known as Gothenburg is the second largest city in the country, and the headquarters of Volvo.  It was founded in 1621 as a Dutch trading colony and quickly became home to a number of Germans and Scots, Swedish allies from the Thirty Years War.  So, a Swedish city with a Swedish name as well as a German/English one.  Oh those Europeans and their crazy wars. 

Now, about Google/Microsoft, etc., and how tech changes language.  Exonym is a real word.  An exonym is the externally used word for a geographic name place.  A perfect example is Germany for Deutschland.  Despite exonym's long usage, according to Blogger the word doesn't exist.  This is something I run into from time to time, and I'm always left wondering, "Are we loosing words because someone in silicon valley couldn't be bothered to add it to a database?"

Any guesses about the uniforms?  They don't look military to me.  No badges of rank or decorations.  Maybe the Swedish railway.

No comments:

Post a Comment