Monday, April 9, 2018

Ehrenfriedersdorf




As I've noted in some of my older posts, both cabinet cards and CDV's were early, successful standardized photographic formats.  Photo supply companies manufactured the cards, some with printed logos on the back, and then the photographer would mount his or her work on the front of the card.  Albums and frames were sold to the public, designed to hold those particular formats.  I've never seen these small, narrow cards before, but clearly someone was selling these things to different studios.  (The actual dimensions, 4 11/16 x 2 1/8)

I could find a fair number of other photographs by Heinrich Wagner, on line, but no information on the man himself.  I'm not going to try and translate the back of the card, but Wagner did win the bronze medal at Heidelberg in 1912, so we can know this image wasn't taken until after that.  I'm still guessing pre World War 1.  If I'm right, that's a small two year window.

Ehrensfiedersdorf is in Saxony, Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment