Friday, July 26, 2013

S.F., Marin, the Golden Gate


I believe in being a tourist.  Yes, go to New York and hang out in the East Village.  I did when I was in college, and it was well worth it.  But, eventually, I also visited the Empire State Building, Grand Central Station, the museums, but missed The Statue of Liberty, something I still regret.

My first couple of visits to San Francisco were all about City Lights Book Shop, (Jack and Neal were already dead and the prices were pretty high for a store that sold paperbacks.), The Condor Club, (I don't know how old Carol Doda was in the early eighties, but she wasn't aging well.), and I even managed to find a live sex show.  (More sad and depressing than out there.)

It took awhile, and half a dozen visits, before I did what tourists do in San Francisco.  Fisherman's Wharf, cable cars, and the Golden Gate Bridge.  I stood where the people in this picture stood, Marin County, the bridge towers partly obscured by fog.  Looking back, I wished I had started with the tourist things and worked my way around to the hipster hang-outs.  I think I would have had more appreciation for the city.  There's a reason why iconic things are iconic.

For the record, my favorite view of the bridge is from Fort Point.  My recommendation,  go when it's raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment