Thursday, June 16, 2011

Three Bears Number 500

















Here's my dilemma. I love to hit the road. When I have the money, I don't have the time. When I have the time, I don't have the money. Back in the old days when I was still working at the photo lab, I had to squeeze everything into a three week vacation. Every three of four years, I would go to the Olympic peninsula in Washington state to go backpacking. I'd leave Los Angeles right after work, drive as far north as I could and sleep along side the interstate. At Portland, after a stop at Powell's Books (Book lovers should go to their website.), I'd drive out to Astoria on the Pacific coast and then drive to Olympic National Park. I've been there at least a dozen times, and every trip it either rained or snowed. I loved it. And then a ferry trip to Victoria, across the sound, a stop at Seattle. Minor league baseball on the way home. What else could I ask for?


On the back of the picture of the lady with the ocean in the background, "At Mora on Pacific Ocean, Sept 6, 1927." The sea stacks, "Rocks & Breakers at Mora, Sept. 1927." and the lady with the two bears, a bit of humor, "Three Bears near Forks, Wash. Sept. 1927." In 1927 it was still Mt. Olympus National Monument, created by Theodore Roosevelt in 1909. His relative, President Franklin Roosevelt, in 1938, signed legislation making it Olympic National Park.


This is my 500th post. Believe me, I had no idea it would go on this long.

1 comment:

  1. Oh geez, the bears on a chain. That's a heartbreaker. The woman looks like the dominant creature in the shot.

    Powell's is indeed a wonder. First bookstore I ever walked in where they handed me a map.

    ReplyDelete