Friday, June 18, 2010

Dinner at The Mark Twain Hotel


This image was a throw in on some loose pictures I bought. At first I didn't give it much thought, but after awhile it kind of grew on me. I liked the mountain of spaghetti in front of the older woman. It reminded me of the cheap Italian restaurants that could be found in the coal mining towns around where I grew up. A night out, cheap food, for people who didn't make a lot of money. Too, while it is often possible to really research an image, more often than not, the fun of old photos lies in speculation. Was this a family get together? Friends? An anniversary? Did the bald guy on the right score a younger wife, or is it his daughter? Perhaps it's a great grandmother, son and daughter-in-law, grandson and great grand daughter. Written on the back, "J. Henry Grimm, Mark Twain Hotel, Hannibal, Missouri." I looked it up, and there is a Mark Twain Hotel, still in business, located at 204 Earl St., Hannibal, MO 63401. On the Yahoo site, the user's review notes that it is comfortable and a good value, though there is no place to eat after 10 P.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment