Monday, September 2, 2019

Davenport



I haven't put up a cabinet card in awhile, but I found this photo, originally from Davenport, Iowa, at an antique store in Hurricane, Utah, and I figured it would be a good one for the blog, so here it is.  I found a Facebook page dedicated to Davenport, Iowa and it had a very brief mention of photographer C. G. Haugh.  He had been an employee at Jarvis White & Co. for three years starting in 1887, then he set up his own photography studio which he sold to Bernard Berg in 1925.  That's it.  Basically, 35 years in business, and that's all there is. 

Take a close look at the girl in the center row, three over from the left.  At fist I thought there was a flaw in the image, but when I blew it up, it looked more like a birth defect of some kind, perhaps a cleft lip.  Maybe that's why she looks so unhappy at being photographed.  Maybe a school group, maybe a church group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment