Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Horeb Spring, Waukesha



Since my last three posts were from my early days of collecting, I've decided to dig out some of the other images I've owned for at least forty years.  I'm more than willing to admit that my earliest collected photos and postcards might  not be as interesting as the stuff I've picked up in recent years, but hey, back then I was more interested in old.  Just think, some of the  photos I've picked up in the last few years,  were only a few years old when I was born.  And some of them had yet to be taken.

This postcard of Horeb Spring Park in Waukesha, Wisconsin looks like it started out as photograph, but I'd bet that the colorist drew in the clouds.   I did a search for Horeb Spring Park and all I could find was a swimming pool and water park.  My guess is that this nice little lake and island are long gone, but I'd love to be wrong.

Too, I'm always curious about words that Google declares misspelled, or worse yet, nonexistent.   Horeb, the mountain where Moses received the Ten Commandments, and Waukesha, an American City are both unrecognized by modern technology.  I wonder how many words we'll lose once everything becomes digital.  Moby Dick didn't even sell a thousand copies when it was published, it went out of print, and was rediscovered several decades latter.  Would it have been deleted from existence had the nineteenth century been a purely digital world?  And for that matter, why doesn't Google recognize Moby?

No comments:

Post a Comment