Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Coalport


Another cabinet card with nothing on the card worth scanning.  In this case, very faded gold lettering, rather plain, on a dark green card.  So difficult to see that I needed my best magnifying glass to read "Kochler COALPORT"  I couldn't find any info on Mr. (or Miss?) Kochler.  And as far as the subject of the photo, well we know he liked a spiffy tie.

Coalport is a very small town in Clearfield County, Pennsylvania.  It was first settled in 1876 and incorporated in 1883.  The 1930 census showed Coalport at it's grandest, 1,222 people.  Today, not so much.  The population was down to 523 in 2010, a slight up tick from 2000 when 490 people called Coalport home.  

I grew up in western Pennsylvania, not far from Coalport, though I have no memory of ever having been there.  I suspect it's just another dying town in the coal fields.  I'd be surprised if it survives another fifty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment