Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Shirley Temple Died Today


I don't have any pictures of Shirley Temple in my collection, so this one will have to do.  I haven't seen all of Shirley Temple's movies, but of those I have seen, what struck me was how they reflected the fears so many people during the great depression.  As adults worried about losing jobs, homes and their very lives, young Shirley worried about losing her home or her parents.  Somehow or another, Shirley's character always managed to survive, no matter how much she lost along the way.  If Shirley Temple could get by and even thrive, why not everyone else.  And if you want to see another side of Shirley Temple, John Ford's Fort Apache with Shirley as the daughter of martinet Colonel Owen Thursday who leads his command to disaster.  It was her last movie.  She retired at the age of twenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment