Saturday, December 18, 2010

Los Angeles Border


I've got a lot of photos with decorative borders. By and large they have simple geometric patterns and since my primary interest is the photograph, I almost always crop them out when scanning. But, as an Angeleno, I had to include the border on this print. The top and bottom shows the peristyle, the ceremonial end of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, commissioned in 1921, opened in 1923, and used for the 1932 Olympics. The bears are for the California grizzly, the extinct symbol of the state. And I think some of those flowers are orange blossoms, and perhaps the California poppy, the state flower. And for those who still don't get the L.A. connection, there is the "LA" in the bear. Click on the image to blow it up and get a better look at the border detail. Got to love the short wave antenna.

No comments:

Post a Comment