Tuesday, December 24, 2019

A Creepy Cabinet Card



Take a close look at the second girl on the left.  Her eyes seem, at least to me, to be kind of lifeless.  Too, it looks like she's being held up by the rest of her family.  The child on her left is holding on to the dress, meanwhile we can see a hand on her right that looks well placed to hold the child upright.  In the nineteenth century, a time of high childhood mortality, a rather creepy photographic service was being offered; photo portraits with the dead kids.  There's no way it can be proved, but I think second on the left was dead when this picture was taken.

There's nothing on the back of the card, and the slight impression on the card front doesn't really scan.  It's difficult to see, but I was able to make out Ottawa, Kansas.  The photographer's name, however, well, I'm not really sure.  I think it's C Wain, though maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment