Friday, December 14, 2018

Union Station



I went back and forth on this one.  With very few exceptions, this blog is limited to photographs or images made from photographs.  Anything in  my collection that starts life as a drawing goes to my Fair Use blog.  The thing is, I'm not sure on this one.  In the end, after scanning, I blew it up as large as I could, and the tree leaves looked too detailed for a painting, so I decided to go with the whole hand coloring of a black & white photo explanation. 

So, Union Station, Los Angeles, the largest railroad station in the western United States.  Multiple Amtrak lines, a subway line, trolley, lots of buses, and regional rail lines start, end, or pass through Union Station.  I transferred from the Red Line Subway, to the Gold Line Light Rail just yesterday, and it's still in pretty good shape. 

In 1926 the voters of Los Angeles County passed a referendum consolidating all of the commercial rail lines into one common station.  I don't know why it took so long, but Union Station wasn't completed until 1939.  L.A. is building a lot of off road mass transit right now, and California is building a high speed rail line between L.A. and San Francisco, all of which face major delays as one law suit after another, almost all of which aim to stop any form of transportation other than cars, wend their way through the courts.  As noted, I have no idea why it took so long, but I'd be willing to bet that Californians were as litigious back then a they are now.

The caption on the back, "The Union Station, covering 40 acres and costing 11 million dollars, is a beautiful example of the Spanish architecture of southern California and makes an appropriate entrance into the Southland for visitors, delighting them with its modern facilities and lovely garden setting." 

Union Station was designed by father and son architects John and Donald Parkinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment