Thursday, December 6, 2018

Going to the Dogs



I've seen horse races on television and once, live.  I've never seen a dog race, and it doesn't look like I ever will.  In the last election Florida voted to ban the sport, and since 11 of the 17 dog racing tracks in the United States were in Florida, I suspect it's a dying sport.  I wonder what will happen to the greyhounds?

The message on the back, "The The weather is fine 78 to-day.  We will bring some sun shine home.  The nites are a little cool.  Saw Mrs. Olson Monday on our way down.  She is failing, but her mind is good.  She asked about every body.  Harry & Edna."  Addressed to, "Mr. & Mrs. Ernest Matson, Washington St, Ligonier, Pa 15658."  I'm always amazed that there was a time when someone could just write a street without a house number, and still have it delivered.  I wonder if the post office still does that?  Oh, and the postmark is dated "2 MAR 1973."  And yes, there are two the's at the beginning of the message.

 Ligonier is a fairly small borough in Pennsylvania, home to Fort Ligonier, or at least a reconstruction from the French and Indian War, and it's also close to Idyllwild, one of the oldest amusement parks in the country.  I can remember a single trip I made there as a child, about fifty years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment