Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The Post War European Trip Collection-Lausanne 2







I can't be 100 % certain without seeing the entire Gloria Lee Bigewet archive.  As I wrote in an earlier post, there is a rare book dealer in Saint Louis who is selling thousands of pictures and documents for far more money than I have.  However, from what little I've seen from my small sample of the archive, Gloria Lee and her tour group spent a lot of time in Switzerland.  That makes sense.  In 1948, the rubble of World War 2 may have been cleared from the streets, but many of Europe's cities were years away from being rebuilt.  Throw in food and fuel shortages, and a thriving black market and the criminals who ran it, and Switzerland was a safer place for American teenagers than much of the continent. .

Note that Lucky Jordan starring Alan Ladd was playing at the ABC theater.  Lucky Jordan was released in 1942.  Even though Switzerland was neutral during the war, and there was contact with the non Nazi world, it must have been hard to get an American movie to Switzerland.  So, Swiss Alan Ladd fans had to wait to see their favorite star.

Yes, I know I'm repeating myself, but click on The Post War European Trip Collection in labels to see more.

No comments:

Post a Comment