Sunday, February 12, 2017

Farewell MC, Farewell



I'm miserable.  I had a cold a couple of weeks ago, it ended, and now I've got another one.  I think I did this to myself.  I've always moved around Los Angeles in a variety of ways.  I grew up in a small, rural town where most people walked long distances, and that's a habit I've never broken.  I get around on my bike, I drive, and I use mass transit.  Anyway, I turned 62 in January, qualified for a senior's transit pass, so I'm spending more time on the buses, trolleys, and subways, surrounded by coughing people.  You'd be surprised  how many people fail to cover their mouths while hacking away.

So, I really need to get some rest, but my throat's sore, so I can't get to sleep.  So, what else is there to do but add another post to The New Found Photography.

Written on the back, "MC Farewell, Bernice Huestis, Dixie Holden, Norma Sharp, Rosanut Schwick."  And yes, I did look up Rosanut, and it is a real name.  The photo was printed the "WEEK OF JULY-57."  What's interesting is that this photo was taken just twelve years after the end of World War 2.  We like the image of huge numbers of American women trudging off to war work, but the fact is, most stayed home.  Most women who worked in war plants were lower middle class and below.  This doesn't look like a wealthy household, so I'm betting that at least one or two of these ladies built a plane or two, their husband or boyfriends came home and they became housewives.  Were they bored by afternoon parties, or relieved to be at home.  Depends on the woman, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment