Monday, March 11, 2013

More Cabinet Cards





These cabinet cards, at least to me, are far more interesting for what's on the back, rather than the photo itself.  It didn't happen often, but every once in awhile, when I worked at the photo lab, someone would bring in some old glass negatives and were surprised when I told them that I could blow them up, or reduce them down without having to make a same size contact print and then a modern copy negative.   It is nice to see on the J. R. Pearson card an offered service of prints made from locket size to life size.  Too, hand colored with ink, crayon or water color, for those who have wondered what kind of pigments were used for the many hand colored photos floating around out there.  As a matter of fact, a photo supply store I use, Freestyle Photographic Supplies in Los Angeles still offers oil pencils and water color for hand tinting.  Haven't tried it myself, but who knows what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment