Saturday, January 5, 2013

On Shipboard


Now this is the way to travel.  I hate flying.  I'm not afraid to fly.  I don't worry about crashing and I'm not all that bothered by security.  But flying is boring.  For hours, you're sealed up in a metal tube, strapped to a seat, and there is no relief until arrival at an airport that could be anywhere in the world. Flying isn't travel, it's transport, and the trip doesn't really start until the airport is a good ten miles in the rear view mirror. After all, what can be done with an airport.

 But travel by car, train, or ship is a whole other thing.  I've been across the English Channel a couple of times and Port Angeles to Victoria more times than that.  Wandering around, going out on deck, talking to people, and being able to walk away if the conversation isn't worth the time.  I've never been on one of the big cruise ships, and quite frankly, I'd prefer to miss that experience.  But I'd love to wander around the world on one of the smaller, older ones still in service, and a state room on an old transport ship....I'm not sure that's possible anymore, but one can hope.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I've fond memories of being aboard ships in the late 50s and early 60s. It was perfection.

    I do believe you can still get aboard some cargo or tankers that cruise the world. You sign on to be one of only a few passengers and pretty much just go where the ship goes. As long as it wasn't rough seas I think it would be pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete