Monday, May 15, 2023

Als Boy (Without the apostrophe)



  

Normally I'd want to know what they are standing on. There's a lab stamp on the back, 'FOX-TONE PRINT, FOX CO., San Antonio, Tex." so Texas, maybe something to do with oil drilling?  But in the case of these two prints, I'm every bit as interested in the caption written on the print's margins. The top photo, "Cora, Me."  It's the second print that is far more interesting. "Als boy." without the apostrophe.

  Anyway, I spent decades working in photo labs and one of the things I learned is that if people can think it, they'll do it, and take pictures, and a lot of men think about wearing women's clothing. So, is the woman in the dark clothing Al's boy? Could be. The face is in shadow, and it's hard to make out, but from what I can see it's not the most feminine of visages.  Then again, maybe this photo was meant to be given to Al's boy.  I guess we'll never know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment