Friday, September 2, 2022

Along the Youghiogheny


 

Not the most exciting postcard in the world, but I grew up in western Pennsylvania, and while the Yough wasn't that close to me, I did some walking along the river.  The river actually starts in West Virginia, flows through Maryland before entering Pennsylvania.  It was damned in 1944, just north of the Pennsylvania border, but apart from that reservoir, it's mostly free-flowing.  I don't know exactly where this photograph was taken, so it could be in any of the three states, but it was published by "The Union News Company, New York and Pittsburgh" so I have a feeling that the location is near Unionville, PA.  Ohiopyle State Park in Pennsylvania was somewhere I liked to visit from time to time.  The Youghiogheny meets the Monongahela at McKeesport, PA.  The Mon meets the Allegheny in downtown Pittsburgh and forms the Ohio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment