Sunday, May 15, 2022

Those Spring Chicks



  

It's time to return to my longest ongoing, incomplete collection that dates back to 2013.  Anyway, I bought an envelope of postcards that the seller told me were flirtation cards.  At the time I thought that was just his name for them but as it turned out that's how postcards like these were actually marketed, so click on Flirtation in labels to see what's already up.  Too, I have another blog, Fair Use where I post non-photographic bits of ephemera I've picked up over the years as well as interesting images I've gleaned from the net.  There are a few cards that were clearly based on drawings that were posted there.  If I think something is based on a photograph, but if I'm not 100% sure, I lean towards photos, so they end up on The New Found Photography. 

So, as a rule, I don't publish the backs of postcards.  If there is anything written or relevant captions, I just type them up.  However, I'm beginning to think there might be some time travel involved here.  Since I entered the computer age and started typing everything my handwriting has gone from fairly good to barely legible, and A.A.'s penmanship is worse than mine and that's saying a lot.  So, after scanning the back, blowing it up, and after some scrutiny, I came up with this very unlikely interpretation, "Friend Harry.  I got the card & it was slick just the one I was looking for."  Okay, so far so good.  But after that, "I havent got time off an lobster with yes had some. Jane was pretty classy to How did the classes come out.  Yours truely, A.A."  I just don't get the whole stuff about the lobster.  

Anyway, a lot of these cards use the word friend and I've always had the suspicion that they were circulated among Maine Quakers.  Enough of the postmark is gone that I can't be sure where it was mailed from, but it was mailed in December 1912.  

No comments:

Post a Comment