Tuesday, December 28, 2021

A Kilt Made for a Formal Occasion


 

Do Scots wear floor-length kilts?  Not that I'm aware of.  I've written about this before.  I spent decades working in photo labs, and while the type of labs I worked in mostly did large business accounts like movie studios and advertising, we also had a certain number of walk-in accounts, and some of those had "private" images.  Lots of naked wives and girlfriends, amateur pin-ups, nude men, people having sex, fetish imagery, and lots of cross-dressing.  The conclusion that I came to was that if people can think it, they'll do it, and they'll take pictures.  So, why is it that I've been collecting old photographs, and I rarely find such photos if so many have been made?  My theory is that after mom and dad have died, the kids find the box of old photos, and can't stand seeing naked mom, dad in a pretty dress, and both parents wearing matching lingerie, so those photos get fed to the flames.  

It's a shame, actually.  I'm a big believer that vernacular photography tells us a lot about people and how they lived., so wiping out that which embarrasses the children destroys the history of the everyday.  And one other thing.  A lot of the crossdressing photos I printed, well, I only knew they were men because I was told that comely young lass was a man, so it's logical to conclude that the number of men with dresses in their closet is larger than supposed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment