Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Mason City




 

I hadn't purchased any cabinet cards for awhile, but I just picked up four of them at a reasonable price.  Two of them have names written on the back.  The top one, "Eddie Rayburn & Family."  Then a bit lower on the back, "Ralph, Floyd."  I guess the mother didn't merit a mention.  The other photo, "Arthur Rayburn."  The other two cabinet cards, which I'll be posting in the next two slots, are almost certainly members of the same family.  I wasn't able to find anything on the Rayburn family.  

As of right now, I haven't been able to locate any information on T. H. Eulass, the photographer of the top photo, but I was able to find a mention of S.M. Miller, whose mark was found on the back of the second image.  Samuel M Miller was born in Illinois, in 1839.  He's listed in the 1860 census as a farmer.  I couldn't find any indication that he served during the Civil War.  In 1863 he married Lucea A. Whitney, the daughter of his boarding house landlord.  From 1870 to 1900 he's listed as a photographer, and, over the years, father of four children.  By 1910, he's a widower and retired.  So far, I haven't been able to find a date of death, but I'll try a few more searches with the next two posts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment