Saturday, May 11, 2019

Black Shriners



There's a stamp on the back of this print, "ALEXANDER L. ADAMS, PHOTOGRAPHER, 1036 WESTMOOR DR.  N. W. AM 0934, ATLANTA, GA."  I couldn't find any biographical information about Adams.  Some of his photos are in the archives of Emory University in Atlanta.  The only other photo I could find of his was from the 1950s, it was taken in a beauty parlor and showed a young lady having her makeup applied.  Near as I can tell, Adams was one of the many commercial photographers who took pictures of what ever his clients paid him to take.  His prime importance is that he recorded black life in Atlanta.

I'm not going to go into the history of the Shriners.  For those who care, there's plenty of info on-line.  They are affiliated with the Masons, and they do have black affiliates, that date back at least to the early twentieth century.  I suspect they might go back towards the end of the Civil War based on some of the pictures I've seen, but I couldn't find any actual dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment