Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Woman on Horseback



I got tired of having my desk covered in loose photographs and old postcards, so I bought a plastic box and shoved everything in and was finally able to see wood grain.  True, it's fake wood grain, but small victories.  On the other hand, out of sight, out of mind, so I now find myself having to make time for The New Found Photography.  Just in case anyone was wondering about the slower pace of my efforts.

So, despite the card stock this was printed on, lacking a publishers name and address, this is not a real photo postcard.  Blow it up and take a closer look and the very tiny dots found in mass commercial printing are quite visible.  I can remember, when I worked in photo labs, if we wanted to make a copy negative of something from a magazine we had to use a special filter on the process camera to descreen those images. 

While this postcard was never mailed there is something written on the back.  "Hazel Jester 595 St. Ams Av N. Y. City  Lovingly Nanna 1921"  Anyway, I was pretty sure that there wouldn't be a St. Ams Avenue in New York City, or for that matter anywhere  else.  I figured it must be a hastily written corruption of St. James Ave.  I looked it up, it's in the Elmhurst section of Queens at the corner of St. James and Broadway.  Not the Broadway in Manhattan.

No comments:

Post a Comment