Monday, January 14, 2019

Hiking in Skirts



I'd say it takes a certain amount of gumption, to use a very old fashioned word, to hike in a skirt, but....About thirty years or so ago, I hiked the length of the Wind River Range in Wyoming.  On the drive up from L.A., I stopped off at a very well stocked hiking and backpacking store. (I can't remember where.)  This store  had men's hiking kilts, so I figured, what the hell, why not try one on.  Now,  back then, when I went of on these longish backpacking trips I'd go to the local thrift store and buy a pair of shorts.  If they survived with a minimal number of tears they might even get used more than once.  Thirty years ago three to five dollars was the going price.  As far as the kilt went, I wasn't particularly embarrassed at the idea of hiking in what, despite being labeled as a male garment, was basically a wrap around skirt.   I was, however, embarrassed at spending $70 on anything when I could get by on five.  If I wasn't so cheap, I'd know what it's like to hike in a skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment