Friday, November 23, 2018

A Permant Party Man



I've ranted about this before, and at the risk of repeating myself too much, I hate it when antique dealers cut up photo albums and sell off the pictures individually. 

The permanent party man in this photo is wearing the shoulder patch of the United States Army Air Force,  organized in 1941 and disbanded in 1947 when it became part of the newly formed separate Air Force.  I may be wrong, of course, nevertheless, the background has a European feel to it, so I'm guessing that this image is from World War 2, and was taken at an American air base somewhere in Great Britain. As far as I know, all pilots, co-pilots, and navigators were officers.  Our Sargent could be  ground crew, or perhaps a gunner or bombardier.  I can only imagine how fascinating an album depicting life on a World War 2 army air base would have been.  Sadly, we won't know from this album.

The photo that was on the opposite side of this page fragment is gone, but the caption is still there.  "PEANUT RACE-LOOSER TAKES THE THREE BIGEST NOSES.  Well there's one thing we can know.  Who ever assembled this album wasn't a great speller.

No comments:

Post a Comment