Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Long Beach Album Photo, Side One



Over the years, I have often written about my displeasure when antique dealers cut up photo albums.  Well it's time to do it again.  Please, I know you can make more money selling individual photos but come on, there's history here that should be preserved as a whole.

So back to this photo.  It's been cut from an album.  It's still pasted to a section of the page.  There's another photo on the other side, which well be the next post.  This one is captioned, "Red Star Yeast, Long Beach, Cal. 1914."  I doubt that this man was an employee of the company.  I looked it up, and the star on the man's bathing suit looks just like the one on the Red Star Yeast logo.  Just speculation, but I'm guessing that this album was put together by a woman, because, what man would see that star and think of baking.  Well a baker maybe, but the handwriting is kind of fine and delicate.

Is that the photographer's thumb?

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I wish collections would be kept together. I also know it's not realistic since the dealers are in it for the money and not the history. That's why when I do find images that seem to belong together I'll buy them even if they're only okay. There's something about trying to put together a part of a life lost.

    ReplyDelete