Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Portrait By George H. Van Norman


Every time I find a commercial photograph with a photographers mark, I always run an web search and I almost never get a hit. Well, this one is an exception. George H. Van Norman was a prominent local Massachusetts photographer active from 1884 to 1890 in Waltham, Mass. and then he relocated to Springfield and was active there from 1890 to 1901. I've also found reference to him in a book titled, "Photo Miniature vol. 6" published in 1905, and have found a cabinet card of a woman wearing a dress decorated with photographs, a head piece made from a studio view camera with the curtain framing her face, holding an advertising banner for the Van Norman studios that's part of the permanent collection of The Portland (Oregon) Museum of Art. This wonderful portrait is mounted on a card, embossed "GEO. H. VAN NORMAN SPRINGFIELD MASS." so we can date this image from somewhere between 1890 and 1901.

4 comments:

  1. George was my great uncle- I have quite a number of his photographs.
    regards, Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob! are you avail to discuss for possible art showing of work inspired by this photo? aaldred@sas.upenn.edu

      Delete
  2. I find difficult to believe that there isn't that much available about you great uncle. The number of his photos I have found online is very impressive.

    I´ve tried to find basic info like date of birth and the data he passed and it is impossible.

    Anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am away from home at the moment but have all that information about date of birth and death etc. I also have some photos and articles about him. my email is robert.whitman@riversidedrive.net. I almost never check this site
    Rob

    ReplyDelete